Air Cleaner Cross-over Tube, above photo.
This cross-over tube for the air cleaner was bolted directly to the engine head through the head bolts. This style of tube
was used before positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) was introduced. This style early tube was used from the start of GPW
production through February 1943. It is marked with a script "F" on the top of the tube and a block "F" on the bracket.
Ford GPW 69289 Engine -  September 30th 1942
No 4 Connecting Rod, above three photos.
The Connecting Rod Cap is cast with the raised markings: "4" (for #4 cylinder) "19" and a script "F". One side of the
connecting rod is cast with the raised markings: W (inside of a diamond) above "F" with a script "F". The reverse of the
connecting rod is cast with the raised markings: "GPW" and "RZO".
GPW Engine Rebuild Plate, left photo.
This GPW Engine was rebuilt by Daimler-Benz Gaggenau
Germany on April 9th 1948.
Note that all of the measurements are metric and the size
stated is the size machined to vice the amount removed as
done by American standards.

The No:8195 is the job number assigned to this rebuild. This
number is also found on this engine stamped on a machined
area on the passenger side of the engine block, below the
cylinder head directly to the side of the ignition coil.
Head Bolts, above left and right photo.
The cylinder head is attached with 9 "F" marked Head Bolts and 6 Studs.
Cylinder Head, above left photo.
The Cylinder Head is cast with the raised part number GPW 6050 with a script "F" and the number 2.
Thermostat Housing, above right photo.
The Thermostat Housing is cast with the part number GPW 8250 with a script "F" and the number 3.
Oil Filler Tube and Dip Stick, above photo.
The Oil Filler Tube and Dip Stick is located on the passenger side of the GPW Engine. This is the early style Oil Filler Tube
and Dip Stick, part number GPW-6763B with friction fit funnel top. This style was used from April 1942 through December
1942.
Oil Pump, left and above two photos.
The Oil Pump is located on the drivers side of the GPW Engine.
The main body of the pump is cast with the part number GPW 6604 with a script "F". The
body is also cast with the number 8.
The top of the pump is cast with the part number GPW 6616 with a script "F". The top is
also cast with the number 8.
Oil Pan, above left and right photo.
The left photo is a view of the oil pan drain plug prior to restoration. This oil pan drain plug is the early style which used a
cast iron drain boss, attached to the pan with three rivets and sealed with solder. This method was used from the start of
GPW production through 1942. After 1942 this style was no longer produced. The medium blue paint was applied to the
engine when it was rebuilt in 1948 by Daimler-Benz. The photo on the right was taken after the oil pan was sand blasted and
repainted with the wartime Ford "Cold Slate-Grey" engine paint.
Oil Filter, above left photo.
The Purolator Products Incorporated Model 25791 Oil Filter was used from the start of GPW production through mid-1943.
The filter shown above has been restored with the incorrect body decal. The correct decal was deep red with a script "F"
with the part number GPW 18660 and one marked PUROLATOR PRODUCTS INC CASE ASSEMBLY 26708 USE JUNIOR
ELEMENT.
Oil Filter Bracket, above right photo.
Water Pump, above left and right photo.
The water pump is cast with the part number GPW 8505.
Spark Plugs, above left photo.
The Ford GPW used Champion model QM-2 Spark Plugs. The Auto-Lite AN7 is a replacement style.
Spark Plug Rain Shield, above right photo.
Early GPWs used a conical bakelite Rain Shield on the Spark Plug terminal. These were eliminated in mid-1943.
Distributor, above left and top photo.
The Auto-Lite Distributor Model IGC-4705 was used from the start of production through late October/November 1944.
The date code on the nomenclature plate 9 W represents September 1942.
Ignition Wires, above right photo.
The Ignition Wires were made of black lacquered 7mm wire with a right-angle ignition resistor terminal.
Engine Front Mounting Plate, (front) above left photo and (rear) above right photo.
This style of mounting plate was used from the start of GPW production through early 1943.
This plate is marked with a script "F" on the rear passenger side above the timing chain cover.
Valve Cover and Crankcase Ventilation, above left photo.
The early road-draft crankcase ventilation system was used from the start of GPW production through February 1943.
Intake and Exhaust Manifold, above right photo.
The Intake Manifold is cast with the part number GPW 9425 with a script "F" and the Exhaust Manifold is cast with the part
number GPW 9430 with a script "F". The Intake Manifold is not drilled and tapped for vent lines as Positive Crankcase
Ventilation (PCV) was not introduced until February 1943.
Starter, above left and top photo.
The GPW was supplied with a Ford manufactured Starter. The Ford manufactured motors are
almost identical to the Auto-Lite version with the exception of the front casting which has the
part number GPW 11131 cast into it (left photo).
The nomenclature plate is stamped with GPW MODEL 6 VOLTS and the serial number of the
starter (not the vehicle serial number).
Generator, above left and right photo.
The early GPW incorporated a ball bearing type Generator. This generator used a ball bearing on each end. Ford
manufactured an Auto-Lite pattern generator with GPW 10180 marked on the pulley face and GPW 10125 marked on the
rear casting. This style of Generator was used from the start of GPW production through mid-1943 when the rear ball
bearing was replaced with a bronze bushing.
Crankshaft, above photo.
This Crankshaft was re-machined when this GPW engine was rebuilt by Daimler-Benz in Gaggenau Germany in 1948.
The Main Bearing Journals were machined to 58.78mm (as seen on the rebuild plate below) and the cast counterweight
area stamped 010. This crankshaft has also been stamped 5776 which may have been the job number assigned to this
machining process at Daimler-Benz. The Connecting Rod Journals were machined to 48.46mm.
Engine Block, above photo.
This GPW Engine was rebuilt by Daimler-Benz Gaggenau Germany on April 9th 1948. GPW Engines were manufactured by
Ford and are marked in cast raised markings on the passenger side of the engine above the oil pan GPW 6015. This engine
is marked 1-12 638632 W6 A N1-CR N1, which means January 12th (1-12) Wilson Foundry Co. (638632 W6) Nickel-Chrome
(N1-CR) Nickel (N1). Some GPWs were fitted with Wilson Foundry/Willys Overland engine blocks with all of the other parts
being fitted produced by Ford from the factory. This engine is a replacement, which means that GPW 69289 had an engine
replacement and then the engine was rebuilt in 1948. The vehicle serial number pad located on the passenger side front of
the engine, below cylinder head is the early uniformly machined smooth oval style.
It is marked EES-135-E-.
No 2 Connecting Rod, above three photos.
The Connecting Rod Cap is cast with the raised markings: "2" (for #2 cylinder) "15" and a script "F". One side of the
connecting rod is cast with the raised markings: W (inside of a diamond) above an "E" with a script "F". The reverse of the
connecting rod is cast with the raised markings: "P21" above "GPW".
During disassembly for restoration, the Connecting Rods from GPW 69289's engine were inspected. All four Connecting
Rods were produced by Ford, but vary in production and manufacturing marks. The Connecting Rods may have been
mismatched with other engine rebuilds being conducting at Daimler-Benz in Gaggenau in 1948.
The four Connecting Rods are pictured below.
CONNECTING RODS
No 3 Connecting Rod, above three photos.
The Connecting Rod Cap is cast with the raised markings: "3" (for #3 cylinder) "1" and a script "F". One side of the
connecting rod is cast with the raised markings: HF (inside of a circle) above "A51" with a script "F". The reverse of the
connecting rod is cast with the raised markings: "GPW".
No 4 Connecting Rod, above three photos.
rod is cast with the raised markings: HF (inside of a circle) above "B18" with a script "F". The reverse of the connecting rod
is cast with the raised markings: "GPW".
Crankshaft Caps, left photo.
The crankshaft caps are machined to match the engine block during
production. The top cap is cast with the part number 638288 above W4 (W4
is a Wilson Foundry Company production number).
The center cap is cast with the part number 638288 above W6 (W6 is a
Wilson Foundry Company production number).
The bottom or rear cap does not have any cast part numbers, but is stamped
"568" and "N". 568 may have been a job number that was stamped into the
cap during rebuild at Daimler-Benz in Gaggenau in 1948.
All six crankshaft bolts are marked in raised numbers: 9437.
Reproduction Fuel Pump, above left and right photo.
The fuel pump used throughout wartime production had a priming lever permanently attached to the side of the pump body
and a metal pump bowl attached to the bottom.
Timing Chain Cover, above left photo. Carburetor Air Horn, above right photo.
Carburetor - Carter Model 539, above left and right photo.
The Carburetor used throughout Ford GPW production the Carter Model 539.
This Model 539 has been restored. The body is natural aluminum and the cast iron base has a grey color. The front of the
carburetor bowl has 9 Patent numbers. Carburetors with 12 Patent number are post World War Two.
GPW Flywheel, above three photos.
This flywheel came with this GPW. The wheel is marked with a scrip Ford F and the Daimler-Benz Gaggenau engine rebuild
work number 5776. This number matches the hand stamped markings on the crankshaft. This flywheel has a new old stock
ring gear added and has been painted in red oxide primer. The markings have been highlighted with chalk.
GPW Flywheel Bell Housing, above photo.
This bell housing is marked with a script Ford F on the driver's side of the transmission mating surface and the part
number GPW 6394 on the passenger side. On the driver's side of the housing just behind the engine mounting holes, are
the remains of two rivets for a rebuild plate. This style of plate was usually added during depot rework and in the case of
this housing, the replacement of the clutch.
This housing is the early GPW style without the raised boss on the passenger side of the housing to support the
emergency brake cable. It does have a threaded hole added to support the emergency brake cable.