|During breakdown for restoration, QuestMasters has noted the following information: the fuel filter bowl is painted grey,
but the bowl housing (the cast top portion) is painted Olive-Green; the oil filter housing, brace and bracket are all painted
|Type: Cargo Carrier, Light
Government Number: G179
Model: T-24 "Weasel"
Manufacturer: Studebaker Motor Company
Date of Delivery: 1943
Serial Number: 991
Registration Number: 401226XX
|The first prototype M-29 "Weasel" was produced in August of 1942. The original designation for the
M-29 was "Cargo Carrier, Light T-24", the "T" meaning Test-Model. The T-24 was produced by the
Studebaker Car Company, South Bend Indiana under contract W-271 ORD-4023 and W-271 ORD-4727.
The designation from T-24 to M-29 was changed at serial number 1003. The T-24 that QuestMasters has
obtained was originally produced as T-24 serial number 991 and later re-designated M-29 on the data
plate. Only 4,476 T-24/M-29's were produced from 1942 to 1945 with the last version being the M-29C,
the fully amphibious version. 10,647 M-29C's were produced during World War Two. The T-24/M-29
could carry a wide variety of cargo and could mount several different radio sets in the crew area.
|T-24 serial number 991 has never been restored and the wartime service is unknown. After World War Two this Weasel
was used by a civilian telephone company and painted yellow over the original Olive-Green paint. "991" was then
purchased by a military vehicle collector and re-painted in a winter camouflage scheme, but never stripped down and
restored. This vehicle will be restored as "BARGE WITH A CHARGE" (right photo) the command vehicle (HQ27) of the
146th Engineer Combat Battalion (ECB), 1st Army, Special Engineer Task Force. "HQ27" is rumored to have been the first
vehicle to land on Omaha Beach while attached to the 1st Infantry Division, June 6th 1944 H+03 hour.
|The drivers area prior to restoration.
|Rear view of 991 prior to restoration. The tracks in this
photo are post-war "Ambilary" commercial tracks. The
T-24 used 15" tracks, which will be corrected during
|Cowl area, above left photo.
The placement of Fuel Filter was moved to the cowl area (per TM 9-772 July 5th 1944 page 156) after vehicle serial number
1002. Prior to serial number 1003 the Fuel Filter was mounted on the right side of the engine compartment above the
engine. The Fuel Filter is mounted in the cowl area in serial number 991, which is inconsistent with the Technical Manual.
The extra fuel filter on the outlet tube was added after World War Two.
Cowl area with radiator removed, right photo.
|Instrument panel prior to removal, above left photo.
The instrument panel was redesigned during serial number 3102 (per TM 9-772 July 5th 1944 page 254). Changes to the
instrument panel were the deletion of the Voltmeter, Heater Switch and the addition of a Head Light Switch and
incorporation of the Heater Switch with the Ignition Switch.
Restored instrument panel, right photo.
The instrument panel for T-24 991 has the Voltmeter present (as used in earlier production vehicles) but has had the
Heater Switch deleted and incorporated with the Ignition Switch.
|Drivers area rear wall showing original Spot Light Reel and
Grip Switch Latch. The original T-24 steel data plate
remains riveted to the rear wall.
|Left side of the Studebaker 170 cubic inch 6 cylinder engine
prior to removal of all engine accessories.
|Right side of the engine.
|The oil filter housing with the original "FRAM" decal
attached. This decal was preserved when the filter and
bracket were repainted.
|Restored Guard Assembly, SD-952352P, left photo.
Shield Assembly with storage box, SD-905869, right photo.
The Shield Assembly or windshield defroster was mounted on the windshield with four rubber suction cups. The electrical
cord plugged directly into the instrument panel.
|Five Seat Back Covers with back pocket, SD-952810, left
The maximum number of seat back covers that would have
been used on a T-24 is four.
|New Old Stock (NOS) replacement boogie wheels for T-24 S/N 991. These wheels were produced during the Korean
Conflict and are dated on the rubber "1 - 52". The T-24 and M-29 Weasel used 32 boogie wheels, 16 on each side in pairs.
27 Boogie wheels are pictured.
|New Old Stock (NOS) replacement grouser plates for T-24 S/N 991, above photo. The T-24 and M-29 used 15" wide
grousers through vehicle serial number 2102 (per TM 9-772 July 5th 1944 page 228). After vehicle serial number 2103 20"
wide grousers were used. 112 Grouser plates were used on the T-24 and M-29 Weasel, 56 on each track.
115 Grousers are pictured.
|New Old Stock (NOS) replacement grouser plates. At least three colors exist: green, white and red oxide primer.
Note: The green painted grouser is painted over a previous white paint. The white painted grouser is painted only on one
|Radio Mast (Antenna) Mounting Hole Cover, above left photo.
This T-24 was specifically delivered from the factory without a Radio Mast. A factory mounted hole cover was delivered
with this vehicle.
Rear Stretcher Bracket, above right photo.
A special Stretcher Bracket was designed to fit in the Top Bow Pockets of the T-24. One large bracket was mounted in the
rear of the T-24 near the muffler and two smaller brackets were fitted to the rear of the engine compartment so that a
medical stretcher could be carried. Each bracket had two spring loaded clips to securely hold the stretcher in place.
|Fire Extinguisher with Bracket, top photo.
The Fire Extinguisher on the T-24 was mounted on the rear deck behind the Muffler Guard. The Fire Extinguisher was
relocated to the front cowl area on the M-29 Weasel.
Fire Extinguisher Bracket, above photo.
The Fire Extinguisher Bracket used on the T-24/M-29 was very similar in style to those mounted on other World War Two
vehicles. The main production difference in the T-24/M-29 bracket were the use of five screw mounting holes vice six
mounting holes on other vehicles.
|New Old Stock (NOS) Muffler SD-905333, above left photo.
T-24 Air Cleaner SD-192912, right photo.
The T-24 used an air filter that was specific to this vehicle. This air cleaner was changed to the standard Oakes Model
613300 Oil Bath Air Cleaner during M-29 production after vehicle serial number 3600. The Oakes 613300 was also used in
most of the 1/4 Ton MB and GPW Truck production from March 1942 through the end of the war.