United Kingdom - British
Birmingham Small Arms - BSA Motorcycle WD M20
Serial Number: 103026
Registration Number: C5213726
History of Birmingham Small Arms - BSA Motorcycle WD M20 Serial Number: 103026
This War Department M20 is the 6209th of 8000 motorcycles produced for contract S2603 (December 1943 - July 1944). It was
produced and was delivered to the War Office, London in roughly May of 1944. Many of the BSA records were destroyed by
enemy action during WWII in England, so the exact date of production and delivery is not known. The year listed is based on
known BSA annual production contract numbers. The Registration Number: C5213726, was painted in white paint on both
sides of the front of the fuel tank, 9 inches long with letters 1.5 inches tall by 1 inch wide.
This BSA M20 complete frame, motor mounts, chain guard and rear wheel were obtained by QuestMasters in 2018. This M20
was found in Vermont, United States. The tire shown on the rear wheel is an original War Department produced tire. The
original wartime paint is still present. The wartime service of the M20 is currently unknown.
The Serial Number for all Birmingham Small Arms - BSA M20 Motorcycles is stamped on the left lower side of the frame just
behind the front fork tube. This 1944 BSA is marked WM20 103026.
This original wartime photo shows a 1944 BSA M20 Registration Number C5213661, marked with the stylised winged helmet
insignia, on the fuel tank, for the 1st Polish Armored Division - part of the 1st Canadian Army. This M20 was produced 65
motorcycles before the 1944 BSA M20 Serial Number 103026 Registration Number C5213726, in the QuestMasters Museum
collection.
Note the placement of the BSA logo and registration number on the fuel tank in this photo.
British Military Keycard No. 2, above photo. After WWII, the 1944 BSA M20 Serial Number 103026 Registration Number
C5213726 continued to serve in the British Military in Germany at 17 RVD BAOR (17th Rear Vehicle Depot, British Army Of the
Rhine). It received a new registration number of  93YC04, which replaced the original wartime C number. This motorcycle saw
military service through at least February 21st 1969, as seen on the last line of the above document.
This original wartime photo shows a British Sergeant riding a 1944 BSA M20 Registration Number C5213784, which is 58
motorcycles later than 1944 BSA M20 Serial Number 103026 Registration Number C5213726, in the QuestMasters Museum
collection.
Note the placement of the BSA logo and registration number on the fuel tank in this photo.
POST WWII SERVICE:
For more WWII BSA Motorcycle history, please visit The BSA W.D. M20 Website:
http://www.wdbsa.nl/index.htm
M20 103026 C5213726
BSA M20 Forks, or Girders, above two photos.
These forks were recently obtained in the United Kingdom for the restoration of M20 103026. The original wartime olive drab
paint is present under the post-WWII black paint. These forks are from M20 Serial Number 20563.
BSA M20 7805 Engine, above two photos.
This engine is from BSA M20 Deluxe Serial Number 7805, delivered to the War Office on October 26th 1939.
This engine was found in Michigan, United States and was painted in post-WWII olive green during rebuilding in 1952.
Although the engine is 4 years earlier than M20 103026, it will be used during the restoration.
BSA M20 7805 Engine rebuild plate, above photo.
This engine is from BSA M20 Deluxe Serial Number 7805, delivered to the War Office on October 26th 1939.
This engine was rebuilt on September 9th 1952 by 12 HEAVY WORKSHOP R.E.M.E. (Royal Electrical and Mechanical
Engineers), located at the previous Hanomag Truck Factory, Hannover Germany.
The rebuild added .020 to the main bearing.
BSA M20 7805 delivery document, above photo.
This document shows BSA M20 Deluxe Serial Number 7805, being delivered to the War Office on October 26th 1939 with
registration number C3934738.
The Tally Number 15635 currently has an unknown meaning.
The engine from 1939 BSA M20 7805 will be used in the restoration of 1944 M20 103026.
History of BSA M20 7805 C3934738:
BSA M20 7722 Registration Number C3931142, above photo.
The M20 Deluxe motorcycle shown is 83 motorcycles prior to BSA M20 Deluxe Serial Number 7805, which the above engine is
from.
This original wartime photo from the Imperial War Museum, shows a 1944 BSA M20 Registration Number C5213537, marked
with the stylised winged helmet insignia, on the fuel tank, for the 1st Polish Armored Division - part of the 1st Canadian Army.
This M20 was produced 189 motorcycles before the 1944 BSA M20 Serial Number 103026 Registration Number C5213726, in
the QuestMasters Museum collection. In this photo, Captain F. Perepeczko (left), 1st Polish Armoured Division, Normandy,
France 1944. The Serial Number of the Ford GPW or Willys MB Jeep is 33564.
Note the placement of the BSA logo, registration number and the Allied Star on the fuel tank in this photo.
BSA M20 Fuel Tank, above photo.
This M20 fuel tank was removed from M20 Serial Number 117108 and is shown sand blasted and primer painted.  
This style of fuel tank has a "cut-off" section on the right rear of the tank. This was introduced to accommodate the "Vokes"
style air filter that was mounted on top of the fuel tank. The "cut off' tank is part no. 66-8211 and was introduced in 1943 for
M20 contract numbers S2603, S5209 and S7218, the end of WWII production.
BSA M20 Oil Tank, above two photos.
This M20 Oil Tank, Part Number 65-8442, was removed from M20 Serial Number 117108 and is shown crushed glass blasted
to bare metal and red oxide primer painted. The Oil Tank also includes Filler Cap, Part Number 66-8351 and is mounted with
(3x) 15-480 Bolt (5/16"-26x1 1/8"), (3x) 24-8784 Washer and (3x) 66-8347 Distance Washer.
The Oil Tank is attached to the right side of the motorcycle with 66-4889 Oil Tank Support Plate that is shared with the
Battery Carrier. The Support Plate is mounted to left side of the frame with (2x) 15-1120 Stud (5/16"-26x1 1/2") and (2x) EA80
Nut. Page 92, 93 and 94, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models and page 17, Spare Parts List for BSA
500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Tool Box, above two photos.
This M20 Tool Box was removed from M20 Serial Number 117108 and has been restored with closing handle and brackets.
This M20 Tool Box is Part Number is 65-9038 with 65-9028 Screw Fastener, 65-9021 Tool Box Strap with (2x) 15-7161 Bolt
(1/4"-26x1/2"), (2x) EB113 Nut (1/4"-26) and (2x) 29-541 Shakeproof Washer (1/2" External Diameter, External Tooth), 27-9001
Clip with A176 Distance Washer, 24-225 Bolt, 29-541 Shakeproof Washer (1/2" External Diameter, External Tooth), K234A
Washer, M263 Nut, and 15-7171 Mudguard Bolt (1/4"-26x1/2"), K197 Spring Washer (1/4") and EB113 Nut (1/4"-26) page 108
and 109, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models and page 20, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model
WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Handle Bars, above photo.
This M20 handle bars were removed from M20 Serial Number 117108 and is shown unrestored in post-WWII chrome plating.
BSA M20 Skid Plate, above photo.
This M20 skid plate was removed from M20 Serial Number 117108 and is shown sand blasted and primer painted.
BSA M20 Muffler or Silencer, above photo.
This M20 muffler is a post-WWII reproduction. The chrome plating will be removed prior to use and the mounting tab, shown
on the left, will be relocated to the center of the muffler.
BSA M20 Gear Box or Transmission, above two photos.
This M20 gear box was removed from M20 Serial Number 93874 and will be used in the restoration of the QuestMasters
Museum 1944 BSA Serial Number 103026.
BSA M20 Rear Mudguard or Fender, above photo.
This M20 Mudguard was removed from a 1941 BSA M20 Serial Number *1796 and will be used in the restoration of the
QuestMasters Museum 1944 BSA Serial Number 103026. The luggage carrier that holds the Pannier bag racks is a replica and
produced in India.
BSA M20 Lucas Battery Carrier, above three photos.
This M20 Lucas Battery Carrier was removed from a 1941 BSA M20 Serial Number *1796 and will be used in the restoration of
the QuestMasters Museum 1944 BSA Serial Number 103026. The carrier is marked on the front: JOSEPH LUCAS LTD.
BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND MADE IN ENGLAND. The rear of the carrier retains the original 1941 green paint with red oxide
primer showing through. This original painted surface will not be restored and installed on the motorcycle intact.
BSA M20 Lucas DU42 Headlight, above three photos.
This original 6" M20 Lucas DU42 Headlight will be used in the restoration of the QuestMasters Museum 1944 BSA Serial
Number 103026. It was fitted to BSA M20 motorcycles from 1942 through 1945. The headlight is marked on the bottom of the
headlight body: DU42. The four position bakelite switch was also produced by Lucas. The Lucas Ammeter shown here was
produced in 1937. Although it is the same size as the wartime CZ27 Ammeter that was fitted on the M20, this 1937 example
shows a high level of 20 amps. The CZ27 was only rated to a maximum of 8 amps on the face of the indicator. The Headlight
Mask or Blackout Light Shield is a modern accurate replica produced in India.
This Lucas Headlight Group is Part Number 515532 page 74, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models and
Headlamp Assembly Part Number DU42 page 23, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Rear Tire or Tyre, above three photos.
During inspection for the restoration of the 1944 BSA Serial Number 103026, in the QuestMasters Museum collection, it was
realized that the rear tire or tyre is original British War Department issue. The tire was manufactured by MICHELIN, size 3.25 -
19, Golden Arrow and has the War Department Broad Arrow marking with casting number 5463-3. It will be removed and
preserved during the restoration.
BSA M20 Frame and Rear Wheel, above three photos.
The 1944 BSA M20 Serial Number 103026 has been crushed glass blasted to bare metal and red oxide primer painted.
Test fitting the gear box, engine, fuel tanks and front girder forks on the 1944 BSA M20 Serial Number 103026.
The BSA M20 Tool Box Strap is becoming increasing difficult to find. QuestMasters fabricated this bracket from drawings
provided on the BSA M20 site:
http://www.wdbsa.nl/download/tool_box_bracket.pdf
This M20 Tool Box Strap is Part Number is 65-9021 and is attached with (2x) 15-7161 Bolt (1/4"-26x1/2"), (2x) EB113 Nut
(1/4"-26) and (2x) 29-541 Shakeproof Washer (1/2" External Diameter, External Tooth), page 108 and 109, BSA Catalogue of
Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models and page 20, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
The BSA M20 Kickstart Crank, mounted to the right side of the gear box. This was obtained from a 1942 BSA M20 and retains
some of the original green wartime paint.
This M20 Kickstart Crank is Part Number is 15-4197 with Cotter Pin EB56, Cotter Pin Nut EB57 and Cotter Pin Washer EB58,
page 36 and 37, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models and page 8, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V.
Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Rear Chaincase or Inner Primary Case, above two photos.
This M20 Rear Chaincase, with fixed fittings and sliding plate, is factory stamped on the inside with Part Number 66-7602,
which is the part number for the Chaincase assembly. The actual Part Number is 66-7601, page 88 and 89, BSA Catalogue of
Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models and page 16, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Gearbox Clutch, above photo.
Shown here are two Gearbox Clutch Assemblies, the top one is a disassembled original and the bottom one is a mixture of
assembled original and replacement parts. The Clutch Assembly is Part Number 66-3808 which consists of: 66-3809 Clutch
Chainwheel, (22x) 26-650 Chainwheel Roller, 66-3811 Clutch Sleeve, 66-3813 Cork Ring, 15-4306 Centre, (8x) 15-2419 Ferodo
Ring or Friction Plate, (4x) 66-3812 Driving Plate, (3x) 15-4307 Driven Plate, 15-4308 Sliding Plate with bolts, (6x) KB113 Nut,
(6x) K197 Spring Washer, 15-4311 Spring, 15-4312 Retaining Nut, 15-4313 Operating Cap, 25-4861 Operating Cap Bush,
Operating Cap Bush Ball 5/16" Diameter, EA60 Operating Cap Bush Locknut, 26-4138 Operating Cap Bush Locking Washer,
15-4315 Clutch Cover, 15-4316 Cover Joint Washer or Gasket, (8x) EB379 Cover Screw and (8x) 24-7068.
Listed on Page 42 and 43, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models and page 8, Spare Parts List for BSA
500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
Not listed on this page of the original manual, but located inside of the Gearbox Clutch is Part Number 15-374 Mainshaft Nut.
The part shown here, 15-5315 Operating Cap has been modified with a brazed nut, which is incorrect. This will be corrected
during restoration.
Listed on page 9, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603, and part of the Gearbox Clutch:
65-3160 Operating Lever, 65-3162 Operating Lever Fulcrum Pin, 25-4251 Operating Lever Thrust Pin, 27-4411 Operating Lever
Thrust Pin Nut, 15-4261 Clutch Push Rod and 15-270 Push Rod Cork Gland Washer.
BSA M20 Oil Tank Support Plate, above photo.
This M20 Oil Tank Support Plate, Part Number 66-4889, was fabricated by QuestMasters using the drawings provided on the
BSA M20 site:
http://www.wdbsa.nl/Oil_tank_bracket.htm
The welds were intentionally made random to replicate factory mass production. This Plate is shown from the Oil Tank side
(right side of the motorcycle).
AMAL Carburetor Model 276AW/1BB, above two photos.
The original AMAL carburetors were based on the products of three companies that made up AMALgamated Carburetters Ltd.
In 1939, the Model 274, 275, 276 and 289 were introduced, which had two internal primary air passages in the base of the jet
block. Each Type Number indicates a different size of the carburetor casting. These markings are stamped on the top of the
flange that mates to the cylinder head. The suffix after the / symbol indicates the type of jets, float chamber and which
machine it was fitted to with that carburetor. The AMAL Type 6, Model 276 was used from 1939 to 1954.
The 1940-1945 BSA M20 motorcycle, with 496cc engine, used the AMAL Model 276C/1B.
The AMAL Model 276AW/1BB was originally fitted to the 1946-1948 BSA B31 motorcycle with 348cc Engine.
This carburetor will be initially used in the restoration of BSA M20 S/N 103026. The float, show on the left side of the
carburetor in these two photos, will be positioned on the right side, when mounted on the BSA M20.
BSA M20 Universal Saddle or Seat, above two photos.
This Universal Saddle is shown with original early BSA M20 green paint on the underside and has the original Saddle Cover.
This saddle is listed as H. Terry & Sons Ltd, Redditch Part Number S707, page 78, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for all
1940 Models and Universal Saddle MT1/TE/S831 page 20, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Universal Saddle or Seat, Springs and Bolts, above photo.
The Universal Saddle suspension at the rear of the seat consisted of (2) Main Spring, (2) Rear Support Strap Part Number
66-9197, (4) EA80 Nut (5/16" - 26) and (4) 35-382 Shakeproof Washer (5/16" external tooth).
Page 78, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models and page 20, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model
WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
Lucas Magdyno M01*2 463957 L6 79, above three photos.
Lucas produced Magdyno's for Ariel, BSA, Norton, Royal Enfield and Triumph - before, during and after World War Two. The
Magdyno shown here is a Lucas Model M01*2 463957 L6, produced July 1939 (date code 79, Month 7 - July, Year 9 - 1939).
This Magdyno currently has an unknown motorcycle model application. It was removed from a wartime BSA M20 motor and
may be used for the restoration of the BSA M20 Serial Number 103026. This Magdyno has clockwise rotation as shown on the
front plate.
The correct Magdyno for wartime produced BSA M20's are the M01*4 AC20 and later M01*6 AC20, both with
counter-clockwise rotation.
The Magdyno Unit, Part Number 465109 is listed on page 74, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models and as
Magdyno Type M01/6 AC20 page 21, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Speedometer Bracket, New-Old-Stock, Original Paint, above photo.
The Speedometer Bracket Part Number 15-8958 is listed on page 110, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for all 1940
Models and listed as Speedometer Bracket Part Number 66-9114 page 13, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20
Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Lucas DU42 Headlight Brackets, above photo.
The M20 Lucas DU42 Headlight four small brackets, shown here have been crushed glass blasted and primer painted.
The Headlight Bracket, Top, Part Number 15-9001 and Bottom, Part Number 66-9078 are listed on page 110, BSA Catalogue of
Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models and Headlight Bracket, Top, Part Number 66-9077 and Bottom, Part Number 66-9076
on page 11, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 7805 Engine Cases, above two photos.
The engine has been completely disassembled and "Vapor Blasted", a process that uses very fine crushed glass sprayed with
90 PSI water, resulting in factory-finish cast aluminum, without removing any base material. The timing case is marked
66-1602 in raised numbers on the inside of the case and hand stamped 66-1600 8855 on the side of the case. The drive case
is marked 66-1604 in raised numbers on the inside of the case and hand stamped 8855 on the side of the case. The drive case
is also stamped with the motorcycle Serial Number WM20 7805. Both cases are hand painted 911 in red paint, presumably
during rebuild on September 9th 1952 by 12 HEAVY WORKSHOP R.E.M.E., to keep track of the two case halves during
rebuild. These markings were intentionally not removed during "Vapor Blasting" to preserve the history of this engine. The
timing cover is marked 66-1919 in raised numbers on the inside of the case

The engine cases were blasted by Urban East Motorcycles and Fabrication, Lorton Virginia U.S.A.:
www.theurbaneastfabshop.com
BSA M20 7805 Engine Piston, above photo.
The engine piston was also "Vapor Blasted". The piston is marked on the top with the BSA logo, Part Number 66-1024, 6, M,
with an inspection stamp: a circle with V 160. The inside has the raised cast Part Number 66-1024, C56, 178 7-4.
BSA M20 Front Wheel, New-Old-Stock, Original Paint, above two photos.
This front wheel assembly was supplied by the War Department as a complete spare parts assembly Part Number 66-5536
and issued without front brake and tyre (tire). This original New-Old-Stock World War Two production wheel as found in
Greece and had never been fitted to a motorcycle.
The Front Wheel Assembly, with WM1-20 rim with spindle and bearings, less brake and tyre are Part Number 66-5534 and
listed on page 66, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models and listed as Part Number 66-5536 page 12, Spare
Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Front Mudguard or Fender, above photo.
The Front Mudguard is Part Number 66-6532 with Mudguard Stay 66-5334 and listed on page 74, BSA Catalogue of
Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models and listed as Part Number 66-6536 with Mudguard Stay 66-6540 on page 14, Spare
Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Rear Stand with Spring, above photo.
The Rear Stand is Part Number 66-4761 with Spring 66-4767 and listed on page 52, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for
all 1940 Models and listed as Part Number 66-4772 with Spring 66-4767 on page 10, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model
WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
The example shown here is marked in raised markings near the top: 6-4773
BSA M20 Fuel or Petrol Pipe, above photo.
The Petrol Pipe, with unions and nuts is listed as Part Number 66-8195 on page 17, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model
WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Handlebar Controls, above three photos.
The wartime BSA M20 had several controls on the handlebars. On the riders right side was the Throttle Twist Grip Control
(top right photo) and Air Lever or Choke (top left photo). Both the Throttle Control and left handlebar were covered with
canvas grips with brass caps (replica canvas grips shown above)
The Throttle Twist Grip is Part Number 65-8501 and Air Lever Assembly (Choke Lever) Part Number 66-8896, produced by
AMAL, Model No. 12/121 and listed on page 18, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
Doherty Motorcycle Handlebar Controls, above photo.
AMAL (AMALgamated Carburetters Ltd) was the wartime supplier for BSA M20 production handlebar controls. Doherty was
another manufacturer that supplied controls for other wartime military motorcycles. The controls above were used on the
WWII British Norton 16H motorcycle, contract S/5161. The Doherty controls are very similar to the AMAL controls and these
will be used on the restoration of this BSA M20.
The wartime BSA M20 had several controls on the handlebars. On the riders right side was the Throttle Twist Grip Control,
Air Lever or Choke (top right of photo) and Front Brake Lever (bottom right of photo). On the riders left side, was the Ignition
Control or Magdyno Control (top left of photo), Clutch Lever (bottom left of photo) and Exhaust Control also known as the
Valve Lever or Decompresser Lever, which was used during starting the motorcycle (not shown in photo).

All of the controls are listed on page 96 through 107, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for all 1940 Models.
The Clutch and Front Brake Control Part Number 66-8584 AMAL No. 18/455, Exhaust Control (Valve Lever) Part Number
66-8513 AMAL No. 18/454, Air Control (Choke) Part Number 66-8896 AMAL No. 12/121, Ignition Control (Magdyno) Part
Number 24-7565 AMAL No. 12/131 and Throttle Twist Grip Part Number 65-8501 are listed on page 18, Spare Parts List for
BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Footrest, above photo.
The Footrest Bracket 66-4913 with all associated parts are listed on page 16, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model
WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
BSA M20 Top Chainguard, above photo.
The Top Chainguard with fittings Part Number 66-7806 is listed on page 88, BSA Catalogue of Replacement Parts for all 1940
Models and on page 17, Spare Parts List for BSA 500cc S.V. Model WD/M20 Contract S 2603.
THE RIDERS GEAR:
British Battledress Blouse or Jacket, 1940 Pattern, above photos.
S
hown here is the 1940 Pattern British Battledress Blouse or Jacket worn by all British Forces during WWII. This example was
produced by Star Manufacturing Company in September 1943.
During World War Two, Dispatch Riders were issued specific gear for riding their motorcycles. This equipment was
specifically designed to protect the rider from inclimate weather or in the event of a crash. The clothing had to be durable,
but also light weight so not to impede the movement of the rider.
British Service Dress Pantaloons Motor Cyclists, above photos.
M
otor Cyclists were issued Pantaloons specifically for ease of movement on the motorcycle. They were baggy in the upper
leg area and tapered at the bottom so they could be tucked into the wearers boots. These examples were produced by L.
Silberston & Sons, August 31st 1944.
British Dispatch Riders Boots, above photos.
Motor Cyclists were issued
boots specifically to be worn over their Pantaloons. Unlike the standard issue low-top
"Ammunition Boots" issued to all British ground forces, these boots had nine pairs of lace-up eyelets and three buckle tops.
The examples shown here were produced by John White in 1944 and are a size 8, Medium. They are also marked WD (War
Department) with the British Broad Arrow and 164.
British Dispatch Rider Helmet, First Model, above photos.
The First Model Dispatch Rider Helmet is commonly termed the "fibre" or "pulp" helmet because of its non-metallic
construction. Officially known as the Helmet, Crash, Dispatch Rider (HCDR) t
his helmet type preceded the steel motorcyclist's
helmet by approximately 2 years. The WD issue fibre helmet was introduced into service in late 1940.

The example shown here was originally issued in green paint, but has been repainted white. The leather sweat band is
marked C.C.L., Christy & Company Limited, size 7 1/8 and was produced in 1942.
British Dispatch Rider Helmet, Second Model, above photos.
The
Second Model Dispatch Rider Helmet is officially known as the Helmet, Steel, Dispatch Rider (HSDR) was introduced into
service in
October 1942.
The example shown here was
produced by BMB, Briggs Motor Bodies Limited, size 6 3/4 and was produced in 1942.
British Leather Jerkin or Vest, above photos.
The Leather Jerkin dates back to
World War One and was issued to many British Soldiers during World War Two. Dispatch
Riders wore them for extra warmth while riding in an exposed environment. The example shown here was produced by J.H.
Bean & Company Limited, November 1944, Size Number 2.