|U.S. Army Corporal
2nd Ranger Battalion
Omaha Beach - Normandy France
June 6th 1944
|This Soldier illustrates the equipment that was worn by a rifleman assigned to Force B, Company C, 2nd
Ranger Battalion during the invasion of Normandy France June 6th 1944.
The responsibility of Force B was to secure the smaller cliffs to the west of Pointe de la Percee. C/2 Rangers
landed on the Charlie Sector of Omaha Beach at H+1 (H-Hour plus 1 Minute). After they eliminated the
German strong points and gun positions from the right flank of Omaha Beach they were instructed to link up
with Force A: D, E and F Company, 2nd Ranger Battalion at Pointe du Hoc.
|M-1 Helmet and Camouflage Net
M-1 Helmet Liner, made by Westinghouse
M-1941 Jacket with "Rangers" Diamond Patch on left sleeve
M-1937 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) Magazine Belt, made by BOYT -42-
M-1910 Haversack, made by PENNING CAMPBELL 3-18
M-1910 Dismounted Canteen Cover, made by J.A. Shoe 1942
M-1910 Canteen, made by P.P. INC. 1943
M-1910 Canteen Cup, made by FOLEY MFG. CO. 1943
M-1942 First Aid Pouch, made by J.S.&S.CO. 1943
M-1916 Pistol Holster, owner marked J. HARRIS 3rd BN HQ
M-1910 Entrenching Tool Cover, made by W.L. DUMAS MFG. CO. 1943
M-1910 Entrenching Tool
M-7 Assault Gas Mask Carrier
USN Life Preserver, made by EAGLE RUBBER CO. INC. ASHLAND OHIO
Service Boots, soles made by NEW JERSEY RUBBER CO.
M-1938 Leggings, made by MEYERS & SON MFG CO. 2-25-42
MK-II Fragmentation Hand Grenade
|Front left and right, above photos.
|Rear view, left photo.
Close-up view of "Rangers" patch, above photo.
This patch was specifically designed for the Invasion of Normandy to
replace the earlier Ranger Battalion "Scroll" patch.
|Rear view of M-1 Helmet, left photo.
This helmet has been painted with the 2nd Ranger Battalion "Diamond".
Inside view of M-1 Helmet Liner, right photo. This liner was made by Westinghouse. The suspension is made from Single
Herringbone Twill (SHBT) and is held to the liner with green "A" washers.
|Service Boots with M-1938 Leggings, left photo.
The M-1938 Leggings shown here were made by Meyers & Son MFG. Co. 2-25-42.
Service Boots, right photo.
The Service Boots were all leather with eleven eyelets and featured a full capped toe. The rubber soles were made by NEW
JERSEY RUBBER CO.
These boots are a size 10 1/2 EE. These boots are marked by the owner H-1061 HIGGINS J M.
|M-1918A2 Browning Automatic Rifle or BAR, above photo.
The M-1918 BAR was introduced at the end of World War One and was a favored squad level automatic rifle during World War
Two. In 1940 the weapon was re-designated M-1918A2 by the removal of the semi-automatic firing capability and the using of a
rate-reducing buffer mechanism, activated by engaging the "F" position on the selector toggle. In 1942, a bakelite buttstock
replaced the earlier wood version. The detachable bipod and barrel-mounted carry handle shown on this BAR were introduced
in late 1944 and would not have seen service in Normandy on June 6th.
The M-1918 shown above has a non-firing solid aluminum BATFE compliant receiver.