|German BDM Jacket, above photo.
During WWII, the BDM, Bund Deutscher Mädel, The League of German Girls, was the female counterpart of the
Hitler Jungend, for girls aged 15-17, and was originally established in December 1928 as the Schwesternschaft
der HJ, Sisterhood of the HJ.
In July 1930 the organization was re-designated Bund Deutscher Mädel and in April 1931 the JM,
Jungmädelgruppe, Young Girls Group, for girls aged 10-14, was established as the counterpart of the DJ. On
June 1st 1932 the BDM/JM gained official status as an independent organization of the NSDAP, the Nazi Party.
Uniform regulations were first introduced in 1931 and consisted of a long brown skirt with white collar but it
wasn't until 1933 that BDM/JM uniforms began to become standardized, and on October 10th 1933 the tan
Kletterjacke, Climbing Jacket, shown above, with white blouse and navy blue skirt was introduced.
This uniform was worn by the BDM throughout the war, until May 1945.
Bund Deutscher Mädel (BDM)
Kletterjacke - Climbing Jacket
|German BDM Jacket details, above two photos.
The BDM, Bund Deutscher Mädel, buttons, shown above left, also have the letters JM for Jungmädelgruppe,
Young Girls Group, for girls aged 10-14. The jacket was worn by all age groups of the BDM.
Left sleeve, above right photo.
The Süd Württemberg district patch is sewn to the upper left sleeve. This district is for Württemberg, in
southwest Germany, with the core established around Stuttgart. The Hitler Jungend diamond is sewn directly
below the district patch.
|German BDM girls wearing the Kletterjacke, above two photos.
|German Donation Can, above two photos.
The WHW, "Winterhilfswerk", Winter-help-work, was an annual charitable donation event held by the "NS -
Volkswohlfahrt", National Socialist - Peoples’-welfare-organization, in which personnel from all of the NSDAP
organizations would solicit donations from the public, and reward contributors with a wide variety of lapel badges
or propaganda booklets.
A red-painted, sheet metal can, roughly 17cm in overall height, and 10.5cm in diameter was used to collect both
coin and paper money. Members of the HJ and BDM were used for collection efforts.
A lockable hinged lid is the top, which is stepped as it ascends, with an angled coin slot that is marked with the
serial number "1196". A small, circular perforation, with "Papier" (Paper) embossed to one side of it and "Geld"
(Money) to the other.
The district name, for collection, is marked on the front Gau Franken.
Gau Franken was an administrative division of Nazi Germany in Middle Franconia, Bavaria, from 1933 to 1945.
The position of Gauleiter in Franconia was originally held by Julius Streicher from 1929 until 1940, when he was
removed from the position. Streicher was later tried at the Nuremberg trials and executed for crimes against
humanity on October 16th 1946. The position of Gauleiter was not filled again until 1944, with Hans Zimmermann
(1940–42) and Karl Holz (1942–44) each serving as acting Gauleiter. Holz officially took up the post in 1944 and
held it until his own death in April 1945.