Normandy, France 1944
|German "Luftshchutz Hausapotheke", Air Defense House Pharmacy, above photos.
This wall mounted first aid set was issued throughout the German Reich for use in homes as well as
|German "Lebensmittel", food container, left photo.
This container was mounted on the wall and was used to store rations.
Salt storage container, right photo.
This container was mounted on the wall and held salt which was used during the winter.
|Wehrmacht Field Chair, left and above photo.
The bottom of this chair is stenciled S.T/AU.
|Wehrmacht Field Stool, left photo.
The bottom of this chair unmarked.
|Wehrmacht (Armed Forces) 200 Liter Fuel Drums, above photos.
The drum on the right is marked on the top and bottom: KRAFTSTOFF 200L WEHRMACHT FEUERGEFAHRLICH 1943.
The drum on the left is marked on the top and bottom: Kraftstoff 200L Feuergefahrlich 1944. This drum is also red stenciled
|Bunker Wall Phone, above and left photos.
This phone was specifically designed to be mounted on the walls of fortified positions. The steel
case is painted field grey. The phone handset and crank handle are missing from the sides.
The top of the phone is a red ink stamped with a Waffen Amt (WaA), right photo.
|Food Delivery Sack, above photos.
This cotton sack was designed to transport large quantities of food such as fruit, grain or rice. The front is marked with a large
Heer (Army) eagle. The rear is marked H.Vpfl 1942.
|Food Delivery Sack, above photos.
This cotton sack was designed to transport large quantities of food such as fruit, grain or rice. The front is marked with a
large Heer (Army) eagle. The rear is marked H.Vpfl 1941.
|Warm Food Delivery Container, above photos.
This container was designed to transport large quantities of warm food to forward deployed locations away from the mess
area. The inside was insulated to keep food warm during transport. The rear of the container had two straps so that it could
be worn on the back for transport. The lid is maker marked: bmc 42. This food container was recovered from Anzio, Italy in
|Field Phones, above left photo.
The field phone had a brown speckled bakelite case which contained the phone, generator and battery. These phones were
used to quickly communicate between temporary positions.
Telephone Switch Box, above right photo.
The telephone switch box was used to manually interconnect 10 individual field phones.
|Water cans, above photos.
The water can pictured on the left is constructed from cast aluminum and painted in ordnance tan. All four sides are stenciled
in white paint: Trinkwasser 5L (5 Liters). The water can pictured on the right the same style used for gasoline, but marked on
both sides: Wasser 20L (20 Liters) 1943 321 Wehrmacht, and on the top near the spout: Wasser 20L. This can is also painted
in ordnance tan paint with a large white cross on both sides denoting water as well as a stenciled "W" under the handles.
|M-1931 Mess Kits, above photos.
Each member of the German Wehrmacht (Armed Forces) was issued a Mess Kit. The examples shown above indicated various
colors of paint applied to the aluminum body and cover ranging from tan, applied over green, to olive and a darker field grey.
Manufacturer markings found on these examples are: C&C.W.39, MN41, C&C.W.38, SMM44, MKL40, C&C.W.41, MKK41 and
RFI39 as well as the ownership markings K LOWENSTEIN, HORD and Kr. Meolert.
|Bunk Beds, above photos.
Each bunker housed the German Soldiers that crewed the weapons system that were deployed there. The bunk beds shown
above would have been one of several sets set up to house those Soldiers.
These bunk beds are constructed from silver painted steel and marked RPT T and RPTA1. The sides of each bed are marked
|National Flag, left photo.
This German National Flag is 3'x5' and
constructed from multi-piece cotton cloth.
Flags were occasionally displayed inside of
buildings and fortifications to bolster national
pride, but were more often used for aerial
recognition. Flags would be attached or displayed
on the top of a structure or vehicle so that aircraft
would be able to identify them with ease.
|Reading Material, above left photo.
Books and literature were often a favored way for Soldiers to pass the time when not on duty. The three books shown are
titled: Frankreichs Totentanz um die Menschenrechte (Frances deathdance to the human rights), printed in 1940 Berlin;
Luftwaffe Von Sieg Zu Zieg - von Norwegen bis Kreta (Air Force of cowardly to cowardly, from Norway to Crete); and
Kreigsflugzeuge - Deutsche, Italienische, Britisch-Amerikanische und Sowjetische (War Aircraft - German, Italian,
British-American and Soviet), Summer 1942.
Mess Hall Ceramic Wear, above right photo.
Ceramic plates, bowls, cups and serving dishes were often used solely in official mess halls. As the war progressed these
items were often used in a field setting. The ceramic food bowl pictured above is marked with a large green Heer (Army) eagle
on the bottom with the date: 1941 and the manufacturer name: WALKURE BAYREUTH BAVARIA. The ceramic coffee pot
pictured above is marked with a large black Heer (Army) eagle on the bottom with the date: 1941 and BAVARIA.
|The following photos depict some of the items that would have been used and stored in or near a German
bunker installation. Each bunker held provisions and equipment for each bunker crew depending on their
mission. Some crews rotated between bunkers while others lived, ate and slept in the same bunker they were
to fight from.
|Binoculars, above left photo.
Binoculars were used by sentries and gun crews for scanning and target acquisition. The binoculars to the far left are marked:
Delactem 8x40 CARL ZEISS JENA. The binoculars on the bottom left are marked: blc 6x 2112589. The binoculars in the center
rear are unmarked. The two monoculars are marked Dienstglas 6x30 152849 rln and Dienstglas 6x30 152217 rln. All five sets
were recovered from France by MSgt Paul Cernak in 1944.
Gas Mask Canister, above right photo.
Each German service member was issued a gas mask and carrier. The three examples shown are painted in various paint
schemes. The gas mask carrier to the rear left has been painted olive green over a previous field grey. This cannister also has
a gas sheet bag tied to the side. The cannister to the right rear is painted in field blue. The gas mask cannister in the center is
painted field grey.