ITALIAN CAMPAIGN
MEMORABILIA AND SOUVENIRS
M-1 Helmet Miniature Paperweight, above three photos.
The three M-1 Helmets pictured above were produced in Italy as souvenir paperweights. Each is roughly 3 inches long and
constructed from lead. All three helmets feature very close details to the M-1 Helmet to include the canvas chin strap across
the rear of the helmet. The helmet pictured on the left has a 34th Infantry Division enameled insignia on the front and is
painted on the outside and inside in a dark forest green. The helmet pictured in the center has a 5th Army enameled insignia
on the front and is painted on the inside and outside in a medium green. The helmet pictured on the right has the North
Africa Command enameled insignia on the front with the letters PBS for Peninsular Base Section and is painted a dark green.
5th Army Commemorative Medal, Type I, above two photos.
The Type I medal has 5th Army in an arc on the face of the medal over Mount Vesuvius next to Naples Harbor. The reverse of
the medal has COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL OF THE ENTRANCE OF THE ALLIED ARMIES IN NAPLES 1ST OCTOBER 1943. The
word COMMEMORATIVE is completely horizontal on the Type I Medal.
Advancing Armies often found themselves with periods of occupation in the country that
they had recently fought to liberate. Local people had to supply food and board for these
Soldiers and at times, finding other ways to relieve them of their hard earned money. A
phrase, coined in England, to describe the American Soldier was "Over Paid, over
Sexed....and over Here!"
During the German occupation of Italy from 1941 through 1945, Italian tradesmen made
uniforms, insignia and materials for the German War Machine. When the Allies liberated
Naples in October of 1943, these same craftsman turned a eye to a new customer and
liberator - The Americans.

The souvenirs shown below are a few examples of styles of locally made "trinkets"
available to the Allied Service Member during their fight through Italy, 1943 through 1945.
5TH ARMY COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL
The 5th Army Commemorative Medal was produced after the liberation of Naples Italy on October 1st 1943. Several different
variations of the medal were produced, possibly by various vendors in and around Naples for purchase by the advancing
Allied Army. Although official in size and style, there is no formal documentation that shows a formal style for being awarded
or to be worn, but rather produced only as a souvenir. Several styles of suspension ribbon have been seen, but there does
not appear to be any type or regularity for production. There are several versions produced for the U.S. 5th Army, British 8th
Army and another variation marked Allied Armies.
5th Army Commemorative Medal, Type II, above two photos.
The Type II medal has 5th Army in an arc on the face of the medal over Mount Vesuvius next to Naples Harbor. The reverse of
the medal has COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL OF THE ENTRANCE OF THE ALLIED ARMIES IN NAPLES 1ST OCTOBER 1943. The
word COMMEMORATIVE and 1ST OCTOBER 1943 is in an arc on the Type II Medal.
5th Army Commemorative Medal, Type III, above two photos.
The Type III medal has 5th Army centered on the medal in an arc on the face of the medal over Mount Vesuvius next to Naples
Harbor. This is very similar to the Type I medal, except the Type III has the addition of two ships in the bay, a different
structure to the bay and mountain range. The reverse of the medal has COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL OF THE ENTRANCE OF
THE ALLIED ARMIES IN NAPLES 1ST OCTOBER 1943. These markings are very similar to the Type I medal except for the font
style in the number 1943.
5th Army Commemorative Medal, Type IV, above two photos.
The Type IV medal has 5th Army in an arc on the face of the medal over Mount Vesuvius next to Naples Harbor. This is very
similar to the Type II medal, except that the peninsula of Naples has different styles and numbers of buildings. Additionally,
the skyline below Mt. Vesuvius is thicker. The reverse of the medal has COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL OF THE ENTRANCE OF
THE ALLIED ARMIES IN NAPLES 1ST OCTOBER 1943. The reverse of the Type IV medal is the same as the Type II.
5th Army Commemorative Medal, Type V, above two photos.
The Type V medal has 5th Army centered on the medal in an arc on the face of the medal over Mount Vesuvius next to Naples
Harbor. This is very similar to the Type III, but has much greater and crisp details of Naples, Mt. Vesuvius and bay with ships.  
The reverse of the medal has COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL OF THE ENTRANCE OF THE ALLIED ARMIES IN NAPLES 1ST
OCTOBER 1943. These markings are the same as the Type III medal.
5th Army Commemorative Medal, Type VI, above two photos.
The Type VI medal does not have 5th Army on the front of the medal. The front of the medal has Mount Vesuvius next to
Naples Harbor with much more detail than the Type I through V medal. The reverse of the medal has 5th ARMY
COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL OF THE ENTRANCE OF THE ALLIED ARMIES IN NAPLES 1ST OCTOBER 1943.
5th Army Commemorative Medal, Type VII, above two photos.
The Type VII medal does not have 5th Army on the front of the medal. The front of the medal has a relief map of Italy and
Sicily with ships passing through water and sea planes flying overhead. The reverse of the medal has THE ITALIANS TO THE
HEROIC 5TH ARMY in a circle around Italian mountains with one tank and four parachutes descending from two aircraft.
M-1 Helmet Miniature Paperweight, above two photos.
The two M-1 Helmets pictured above were produced in Italy as souvenir paperweights. Each is roughly 3 inches long and
constructed from lead. Both helmets feature very close details to the M-1 Helmet to include the canvas chin strap across the
rear of the helmet. The helmet pictured on the left has a 92nd "Buffalo Soldiers" Division enameled insignia on the front and
is painted on the outside and inside in a dark forest green. The 92nd Division arrived in Italy September 1944. The helmet
pictured on the right has the 85th "Custer" Division enameled insignia on the front of the helment and is painted a dark
green. The 85th Division arrived in Naples, Italy March 27th 1944.
Souvenir Copper Dish, above left and right photo.
Squadron Patch and American Flag, Capri Made, above two photos.
The squadron patch in the left photo belonged to T/Sgt William J. Gallagher, Army Air Force. T/Sgt Gallagher was a crew
member of B-24J-5-DO 42-52321 "The Bad Penny" which was lost November 1st 1944 over Vienna Austria. This patch was
made on the Island of Capri for the 451st Bombardment Group (H), 726th Bombardment Squadron, 15th Air Force in Italy.
The American Flag patch in the right photo was also made on the Island of Capri. This style of patch was favored by 15th Air
Force personnel in Italy and was frequently sewn on the right shoulder of the A-2 Flight Jacket.
Pilot's Wings, Capri Made, above two photos.
These Pilot's Wings were made on the Island of Capri from soft russet brown leather. The Pilot's Wings are deeply incised
into the leather leaving the imprint on the front and reverse of the patch. The name of the pilot was often imprinted just
above the wings and then sewn to the left chest of an A-2 Flight Jacket.
CAPRI INSIGNIA
The Island of Capri is located just to the west of Naples. This island was known for vacation and furlough and many Allied
Service Members were sent there for Rest and Recuperation or R&R. On the island they found souvenirs available for
purchase, specifically a very unique hand tooled style of leather insignia or patch. Each patch was hand crafted by Italian
artisans with unique characteristics unlike anywhere else in the world at that time. The leather was very soft, dyed or painted
with the unit logo and deeply incised with the design. This style of insignia was favored by but limited to American Army Air
Force personnel. These insignia were then often sewn to a flight jacket.
34th "Red Bull" Infantry Division - 109th Engineer Battalion Cup, front and reverse, above two photos.
SACA CERAMIC WEAR
Societa Anonima Ceramiche Artische or SACA was a type of ceramic wear produced in Sesto Fiorentino, Florence, Italy for
United States Soldiers as souvenirs in 1945. The pitchers, cups and plates had a speckled brown pattern over a cream
ceramic and glazed with the Army, Division and or Regimental logo on the sides.
5th Army - 34th "Red Bull" Infantry Division - 168th Infantry Regiment Pitcher, sides and front, above three photos.
5th Army - 34th "Red Bull" Infantry Division - 135th Infantry Regiment Pitcher, sides and front, above three photos.
5th Army - 34th "Red Bull" Infantry Division - 151st Field Artillery Battalion Pitcher, sides and front, above three photos.
34th "Red Bull" Infantry Division - 168th Infantry Regiment Cup, front and reverse, above two photos.
34th "Red Bull" Infantry Division - 135th Infantry Regiment Cup, front and reverse, above two photos.
5th Army Pillow Covers, above two photos.
The pillow cover on the left is constructed from black silk with a fine woven pink silk boarder. The center is hand embroidered
with the 5th Army Insignia and Souvenir of Italy 1944.
The pillow cover on the right is constructed from orange silk with the 5th Army Insignia in the center. Around the insignia is
hand embroidered in blue Italy 1944 and hand embroidered in orange Souvenir Florence.
34th "Red Bull" Infantry Division - 168th Infantry Regiment Souvenir Mailing Box, above two photos.
This small wooden box was used PFC Alfred Riccio to mail home a souvenir from Italy. The box is hand marked:
FROM P.F.C. ALFRED RICCIO, CO. L 168 INF, APO 34 C/O P.M. NYC
TO MRS MARY RICCIO 23 VAN PATTEN ST, AUBURN N.Y. USA.
Censored April 25, 1944
The box previously contained HALCOMB 999 HIGH SPEED TOOL BITS. The contents of shipment are unknown.
45th "Thunderbird" Infantry Division - 179th Infantry Regiment Souvenir Mailing Box, above two photos.
This small wooden box was cut down from a K-Ration Crate and was used CPL Ruben B Nitzel to mail home a souvenir from
Italy. The box is hand marked:
From CPL Ruben B Nitzel, Service Co. 179th INF, APO 45 C/O Post Master NY NY
To Mrs. Della Vreeland, R.R.2 Eagle River Wisc.
The postmark is dated June 16th 1944 over 18 cents of postage.
The contents of shipment are unknown.
34th "Red Bull" Infantry Division - 168th Infantry Regiment Souvenir German SS Documents, above two photos.
This book of documents was brought home by C.H. Barker ASN 6654509, Co. G 168th Infantry Regiment from the Udine
Valley. The book contains documents for supplies for a German SS Police Unit in Italy during 1944.
34th "Red Bull" Infantry Division - 168th Infantry Regiment Souvenir German SS Documents, above two photos.
The inspection stamp, above left, is for the German Commander of the Police, Central Italy, Bologna, July 27th 1944.
Letterhead for the German SS Police Commander, June 1944, above right photo.
Italian Souvenir Ashtray, left photo.
This ashtray, constructed from copper, depicts an Italian
vendor with a fruit stand attempting to make a sale to an
Allied Service member.
Gunner's Wings, Capri Made, above two photos.
These Gunner's Wings were made on the Island of Capri from soft russet brown leather. The Gunner's Wings are deeply
incised into the leather leaving the imprint on the front and reverse of the patch. The name of the gunner was often imprinted
just above the wings and then sewn to the left chest of an A-2 Flight Jacket.
135th Infantry Regiment, 34th "Red Bull" Infantry Division and 5th Army Ashtrays, above three photos.
Seal of Florence Italy Ashtray, above left photo. American Flag (with 48 stars) cigarette box, above right photo.
Souvenir Copper Dish - Italy 1944, above left photo.
Souvenir Silver Plated Copper Dish, above right photo.
This dish is marked U.S. Army Engineers, African Middle East Theatre, Cairo - Egypt 1942 - 1945.
Italian Souvenir Letter Opener, above photo.
This letter opener is constructed from silver plated brass with a dragon handle and an Arabic blade. The blade depicts the
bay of Naples with Mount Vesuvius in the background and is marked NAPOLI - 45 or Naples 1945.
Souvenir of Italy Handkerchief, above left photo.
This Souvenir of Italy handkerchief was hand embroidered on silk.
5th Army Souvenir Make-Up Container, above right photo.
This container is made of marble and depicts the 5th Army insignia on the lid.
Italy Souvenir Bracelet, above photo.
This bracelet is constructed from silver plated brass. The center is marked RICORDO DI ROMA or Souvenir of Rome. The
band links are marked SIENA, SICILY, ROME, FIRENZE, CASSINO and AFRICA. The links usually depict where the wearer has
been and vary from bracelet to bracelet.
Italy Souvenir Bracelet, above two photos.
This bracelet is constructed from aluminum. The center is marked:
MARTIN J. ZAWORSKI
3125 - So. 49 - AVE
1944
CICERO - ILL
ROME NAPLES
The band links are marked ANZIO and ROME. The links usually depict where the wearer has been and vary from bracelet to
bracelet.

This bracelet may have belonged to Joseph M. Zaworski, ASN 36028155, who entered service on April 22nd 1941 in Chicago,
Illinois.  
34th Infantry Division envelope or cover, above left photo.
This cover was mailed to Mr Herman Broomall, Upland, Pennsylvania by S/Sgt Arthur W. Goede, 20708269, Service
Company, 135th Infantry Regiment, 34th Infantry Division, APO 34 "Sandstorm Division" on August 18th 1944.
Arthur W. Goede joined the United States Army on February 10th 1941. He hailed from Jackson Minnesota.
The 135th Infantry entered Livorno and regrouped near the Arno River, Italy on July 22nd 1944.   
34th Infantry Division envelope or cover, above right photo.
This cover was mailed to Mrs N. P. Swayne, RFD #2, Malvern, Pennsylvania by S/Sgt Arthur W. Goede, 20708269, Personnel
Section, 135th Infantry Regiment, 34th Infantry Division, APO 34 "Sandstorm Division" on January 34th 1945.
September 23rd 1944 marked the end of the Gothic Line barrier in Italy. In January 1945, the 135th Infantry moved further
into Northern Italy.
34th Infantry Division envelope or cover, above left photo.
This cover was mailed to Mrs N. P. Swayne, Malvern, Pennsylvania by S/Sgt Arthur W. Goede, 20708269, Service Company,
135th Infantry Regiment, 34th Infantry Division, APO 34 "Sandstorm Division" on July 11th 1944.
Arthur W. Goede joined the United States Army on February 10th 1941. He hailed from Jackson Minnesota.
The 135th Infantry concluded the Battle of Rosignano, Italy July 3rd through July 7th 1944.   
135th Infantry Regiment, 34th Infantry Division envelope or cover, above right photo.
This cover was mailed to Mr W R Galvin, 214 South Blvd., Richmond 20 Virginia, by S/Sgt Arthur W. Goede, 20708269,
Personnel Section, 135th Infantry Regiment, 34th Infantry Division, APO 34 on January 13th 1945.
September 23rd 1944 marked the end of the Gothic Line barrier in Italy. In January 1945, the 135th Infantry moved further
into Northern Italy.
1st Armored Division souvenir pitcher, above left photo. The 1st Armored Division insignia is painted on both sides of the
pitcher with the word ITALY across the front. The bottom is marked SACA SESTOFIORENTINO ITALY FLORENCE.
Two variations of an Italian souvenir aluminum airplane, above two photos.
This souvenir was hand carved from a single piece of large aluminum resembling a German JU-88 "Stuka" dive-bomber. Each
had a movable propeller and a pair of landing gear. The example on the left is missing one propeller and landing gear. The
right wing is engraved with a reversed swastika and the left wing engraved Napoli 1944. The example on the right is missing
the landing gear. The right wing is engraved 1944 and the left wing NAPLES.
ADDITIONAL SOUVENIRS:
Another two variations of an Italian souvenir aluminum airplane, above two photos.
This souvenir was hand carved from a single piece of large aluminum resembling a German JU-88 "Stuka" dive-bomber. Each
had a movable propeller and a pair of landing gear. The example on the left is missing the propeller and landing gear. The
right wing is engraved SICILY and the left wing engraved 1944. The example on the right complete with propeller and landing
gear. The right wing is engraved Italy and the left wing 1944.
Souvenir Ashtrays, above two photos.
The ashtray in the left photo is made from cast aluminum and is marked SOUVENIR NAPLES, 1944 and depicts Mount
Vesuvius irrupting. The ashtray in the right photo is made from cast zinc and depicts the 5th Army insignia.
Souvenir Ashtray, above two photos.
The ashtray shown above is made from cast aluminum and is marked SOUVENIR ITALY, 1944 and depicts Mount Vesuvius
irrupting with a nude goddess.
Italy Souvenir Bracelet and ring, above two photos.
This bracelet is constructed from nickel plated brass. The center is marked: NAPLES 1944, CASSINO, ANZIO, ROMA. The
ring, which came with the bracelet, depicts a airborne parachute with U.S. for United States.
Italian Souvenir Letter Opener, above photo.
This letter opener is constructed from silver plated brass. The hilt is marked BARI on one side and 1945 on the reverse. Bari,
Italy is located on the east coast and is a port city of the Adriatic Sea.
Italian Souvenir Letter Opener, above photo.
This letter opener is constructed from silver plated brass. The hilt is marked NAPLES on one side and 1944 on the reverse.
Italian Souvenir Letter Opener, above photo.
This letter opener is constructed from silver plated brass. A nude goddess with arms above her head forms the handle with
outstretched wings for the hilt. The blade is marked FOGGIA 1945. Foggia is 170km (105 miles) north/east of Naples.
Italian Souvenir Letter Opener, above six photos.
This is one of the most popular of all Italian Theater WWII souvenirs. This letter opener is constructed from cast aluminum
and depicts a nude woman or goddess. Each example varies slightly from the next, but all appear to have been made from a
very similar mold. The blade is engraved with NAPLES and 1945, and can be found with or without Mount Vesuvius.
5th Army Association Card, above three photos.
This card was issued to all members of the 5th Army in Italy. This card was signed by General Mark W. Clark, Lieutenant
General and Commander of the 5th Army in Italy. The Top left card was issued on December 4th 1944, Serial Number 27995,
to Anthony T. Cappelli. The top right card was issued on December 9th 1944, Serial Number 36531, to E S Wonsewitz.
The bottom card was issued on July 3rd 1945, Serial Number 6908, to John B. Burkel. This card is signed by Lieutenant
General Lucian K. Truscott, who took over command of the 5th Army in Italy, December 1944.
88th Infantry Division Association Card, above three photos.
This card was issued to all members of the 88th Division in Italy. The card was signed by Major General Bryant E. Moore and
Brigadier General J. C. Fry. The top left card was issued to Ralph H. Bair, ASN 43017097, born June 11th 1927 and entered
Service July 16th 1945. He served overseas from January 8th 1946 to March 2nd 1946, being discharged May 6th 1946 at
Fort Dix New Jersey. The top right card was issued to Dwight F. Bireley. The bottom center card was issued to T-5 John
"Johnnie" R. Yezulinas, ASN 33978078, born February 7th 1927 and entered Service April 23rd 1945. He served overseas
from October 11th 1945 to March 2nd 1946, being discharged November 25th 1946 at Fort Dix, New Jersey.

The 88th Infantry Division was inactivated on October 24th 1947 in Italy.
THEATER PRODUCED INSIGNIA:
88th Infantry Division Shoulder Sleeve Insignia, above two photos.
The 88th Infantry Division insignia, left photo, was produced in Italy in blue cotton twill. The 88th Infantry Division insignia,
right photo, was also produced in Italy in blue cotton twill, but also has a fine silver bullion border added. The non-standard
tab was made specifically to be worn over the division insignia. The tab was originally embroidered "88 BLUE DEVIL DIV".
3rd Infantry Division and 3rd Army Shoulder Sleeve Insignia, above two photos.
The 3rd Infantry Division insignia, left photo, was produced in Italy in blue felt and embroidered with fine silver bullion. The
3rd Army insignia, right photo, was also produced in Italy in blue felt, and also has a fine silver bullion center with red silk
embroidered border.
5th Army Shoulder Sleeve Insignia, above two photos.
The 5th Army insignia, left photo, is the standard factory produced insignia made in the United States and worn overseas.
The 5th Army insignia, right photo, was produced in Italy on red and blue felt with a fine silver bullion center and border.
5th Army Souvenir Insignia, above two photos.
The 5th Army souvenir insignia, left and right photo, was produced in Italy. The insignia measures 1/2" across and is made
from silvered brass and enameled in blue and red.
SOUVENIR BOOKS:
The Winter Line and Volturno Books, above two photos.
The Winter Line was produced by the Historical Division, U.S. War Department June 14th 1945 and Volturno was produced
by the Military Intelligence Division, U.S. War Department December 11th 1944.
Salerno and Finito The PO Valley Campaign Books, above two photos.
Salerno was produced by the War Department Military Intelligence Division, August 26th 1944 and Finito The PO Valley
Campaign is marked to its original owner PFC Ken Cronenvhet, HQ Battery II Corps, Artillery, APO 19 with his Gun number
listed as 1502640.
Souvenir Programs, above two photos.
The program in the left photo is for the Mediterranean Symphony Orchestra, directed by T/Sgt. Joseph Wincenc, Thursday,
February 22 1945. The program on the right is for the 5th Army and 12th Air Force "Spaghetti Bowl" Football Game, January
1st 1945.
Souvenir Booklets, above two photos.
The booklet in the left photo is "A Soldiers Guide to Rome", owned by S/Sgt. M. B. Griemann, ASN 37284613, HQ 703rd
Railway Grand Division. The booklet in the right photo is titled "Minturno to the Appenines" and was produced as a souvenir
for the 85th "Custer" Division.
Souvenir Booklets, above two photos.
The booklet in the left photo is "A Soldiers Guide to Naples". The booklet in the right photo is titled "5th Army Antiaircraft
Salerno to Florence 9 September 1943 to 8 September 1944" and was prepared by the Antiaircraft Artillery Section,
Headquarters, Fifth Army.
Souvenir Booklets, above two photos.
The booklet in the left photo is "5th Army Road to Rome, Salerno Naples Volturno Cassino Anzio Rome". The booklet in the
right photo is titled "Soldiers Guide to Italy" and was owned by Komarek.
Souvenir Booklets, above two photos.
The booklet in the left photo is "Souvenir Programme MTOUSA vs. USFET Track and Field Meet, August 26th 1945". This
Inter-Theater Championship was between the Mediterranean Theater of Operations, United States Army and the United
States Forces European Theater at the Victory Stadium, Frankfurt on Main, Germany. The booklet in the right photo is titled
"Soldier's Guide to Rome" and was owned by S/Sgt. M.B. Grieman, ASN 37284613, HQ 703rd Railway Grand Division.
Souvenir Booklets, above two photos.
The booklet in the left photo is "Army Talks Mediterranean", Africa Sicily Italy, Vol 1, May 29th 1945, No 12, Information &
Education Section MTOUSA. The booklet in the right photo is titled "Engineer History Mediterranean Theater Fifth Army"
Volume I.
Station Log, above left photo.
This log book is from the Medical Detachment, 916th Field Artillery, Volturno Italy, 1945. It is a record of all patients seen at
the Field Hospital.
Enemy Defenses, Volume III, above right photo.
This 3" thick book was produced by the Mediterranean Allied Photographic Reconnaissance Wing (M.A.P.R.W.) and shows
aerial photography of German positions in Italy during WWII.
Souvenirs of PFC John M. Beckman, above three photos.
PFC John M. Beckman, ASN 3440860 was assigned to Company M, 168th Infantry Regiment, 34th "Red Bull" Division in Italy.
His souvenirs include the cover from the 3rd Battalion, Message Center, above left photo, multiple issues of The "Red
Bulletin" the 34th Infantry Division newspapers - Volume 1: No. 12 June 9th 1945, No. 14 June 23rd 1945, No. 15 June 30th
1945, No. 16 July 7th 1945, No. 17 July 14th 1945, No. 18 July 21st 1945, No. 19 July 28th 1945, No. 20 August 4th 1945, No.
21 August 11th 1945, No. 22 August 18th 1945, No. 23 August 25th 1945, No. 24 September 1st 1945, No. 25 September 14th
1945, No. 26 September 26th 1945, No. 27 October 23rd 1945, No. 28 October 24th 1945, No. 31 October 27th 1945, No. 32
October 28th 1945, No. 35 October 31st 1945, No. 36 November 1st 1945, No. 37 November 2nd 1945, The "Rainbow News"
168th Infantry Regiment Newspaper Volume 1: Number 3 August 31st 1945, Number 4 September 10th 1945, Number 5
September 18th 1945, Number 6 September 25th 1945 and receipts for the transfer of funds to Mrs. Harland Cotton, 4672
Liberty Road, South Euclid 21, Ohio. It is signed by 1st Lt. Alvin I. Colbus, Infantry.
PFC John M. Beckman was born February 1st 1924, McKeesport Pennsylvania. He entered service March 27th 1943 and
served overseas from October 5th 1943 to November 3rd 1945. He was discharged November 7th 1945 Fort Indiantown Gap
Pennsylvania. He died July 5th 2009 and is buried in Maryland Veterans Cemetery, Cheltenham Maryland.
M-1911 Colt Magazine Pouch, above left and right photo.
This M-1911 Colt Pistol Magazine Pouch was produced in June 1918. It has been marked on the inside to the 213th Coast
Artillery Anti-Aircraft Regiment (213 C.A.). The 213th C.A. was one of fourteen units in the National Guard in 1940. The
Regiment deployed to North Africa as part of Operation Torch in 1942. The Regiment fought in the North African Campaign
and was subsequently involved in the invasion of the Italian Mainland. In April 1944, as part of general reorganization of
anti-aircraft artillery, the Regiment was disbanded and its component elements redesignated.
5th Army News envelope or cover, March 1st 1945, above photo.
This envelope was mailed on March 1st 1945 from the Headquarters, Fifth Army, Public Relations Section, APO 464 to Star,
Green River Wyoming and was censored by Major Joseph F. Knebel, Infantry.
Italian Souvenir Cigarette Lighter, above photo.
This cigarette lighter is made from a single block of aluminum and inscribed Naples 1945 on one side. The lighter fuel is filled
in the bottom through an aluminum threaded screw.
5th Army Shoulder Sleeve Insignia, above two photos.
This 5th Army insignia, shown above - front and rear, is produced in the Bevo style embroidery. It may have been produced
in Italy during WWII but this style of insignia production is also consistent with German military produced insignia and may
have been also made in Germany during the occupation period after VE Day.
The 36th "Texas" Division was called to active federal service on November 25th 1940. The 36th Division participated in the  
August-September 1941 Louisiana Maneuvers and July-August 1942 Carolina Maneuvers. The 36th Division landed in French
North Africa on April 13th 1943. The Division first saw action in the Italian Campaign on September 9th 1943, the first combat
unit to fight on the European continent when it landed by sea at Paestrum for the Battle of Salerno. The 36th Division
returned to combat in mid-November 1943, after six weeks of rest, capturing Mount Maggiore, Mount Lungo, and the village
of San Pietro despite strong enemy positions and severe winter weather. This grueling campaign against the Bernhardt Line
was marked by futile attempts to establish a secure bridgehead across the Gari River, erroneously identified as the Rapido
River from January 1st 1944, to February 8th 1944. The Division attacked across the Gari River on January 20th but was
harshly repulsed by the 15th Panzer Grenadier Division. The 141st and 143rd Infantry Regiments of the 36th Infantry Division
were virtually destroyed and the attack was stopped on January 22nd. In 48 hours, the 36th Division had sustained 1,681
casualties: 143 Killed-in-Action, 663 wounded, and 875 missing, out of almost 6,000 men who took part in the attack.

Strong controversy flared among the Officers of the Division and Lieutenant General Clark, the Fifth Army commander, was
severely criticized for having ordered a difficult frontal attack and was accused of having caused the disaster. After the war
Congress, urged by veterans of the division, conducted an investigation into the causes and responsibility for the defeat on
the Gari River. Clark was absolved of blame and he personally believed the attack to be necessary.

After assisting the 34th Infantry Division in the attack on Monte Cassino and fighting defensively along the Gari River, the
severely depleted 36th withdrew from the line on March 12th 1944, for rest and recreation. The division arrived by sea at the
Anzio beachhead on May 22nd 1944, under the command of Major General Lucian Truscott's VI Corps, to take part in
Operation Diadem, with the breakout from the beachhead commencing the following day. It drove north to capture Velletri on
June 1st 1944, and entered Rome on June 5th 1944, the day before the Normandy landings.

On August 15th 1944, as part of the U.S. 6th Army Group, the 36th Division made another amphibious assault landing,
against light opposition in the Saint-Raphaël-Fréjus area of southern France as part of Operation Dragoon, the Allied
invasion of Southern France.

By May 8th 1945, otherwise known as Victory in Europe Day (VE-Day), the 36th Division was based in Kitzbühel, Austria
where it captured Generalfeldmarschall- Gerd von Rundstedt, the commander of all German Armed Forces on the Western
Front, and its final station was at Kufstein, Austria on August 14th 1945.

After 400 days of combat, the 36th Infantry Division returned to the United States in December 1945. It was returned to the
Texas Army National Guard on December 15th 1945.
36th Infantry Division souvenir books, above two photos.
The souvenir book, left photo, is the pocket sized history of the 36th Infantry Division produced at the conclusion of WWII
and was made available to the Soldiers to bring home to tell their story of the entire 36th Infantry Division. The souvenir
football program, right photo, where the 7th Army, 3rd Infantry Regiment "Cockades" played the 36th Infantry Division in
Darmstadt, Germany on Saturday October 13th 1945. The program was owned by S/Sgt. Bill Dorio.
36TH "TEXAS" INFANTRY DIVISION
36th Infantry Division souvenir wooden plates, above two photos.
The souvenir wooden plate, left photo, is hand painted in gold: 36th Division Germany 142nd Infantry 1945. The souvenir
wooden plate, right photo, has been hand carved: Company K, 3rd Battalion, Germany 142nd Infantry 1945. The carving was
done by a German with the stylized "I" in Infantry looking more like a "J", which is very common in German script.
36th Infantry Division souvenir plates, above two photos.
The souvenir wooden plate, left photo, is hand carved: Souvenir 36th Division Germany 1945. The souvenir metal plate, right
photo, is professionally engraved on an aluminum plate: 36th Infantry Division with the flag for the 111th Engineer Regiment,
A Company, with their motto "Fortis et Fedlis" "Brave and Faithful". The 111th was assigned to the 36th Infantry Division
throughout WWII and then again from 1947 to 1968 when they were deactivated.
36th Infantry Division souvenir medal, above two photos.
This medal, locally produced in Germany or Austria in 1945, is hand inscribed: 141 INF FIELD DAY, TABLE TENNIS
CHAMPION, E.T.O. 1945.
36th Infantry Division souvenir wooden shoes, above two photos.
The two pairs of wooden shoes, pictured above, were sold by local French citizens to the Advancing Allied Forces as
souvenirs for their liberation. Both sets of shoes are tied together in the center so they will not be separated. The left pair is
painted in green with the word France. The right pair of shoes is painted in red and the words SOUVENIR DE FRANCE 36TH
DIV.
Tactical Air Force Ashtray, above photo.
The Tactical Air Force was a term used by the Air Force of the British Commonwealth during the later stages of WWII for
formations of more than one fighter group. The insignia shown on the ashtray from top to bottom, clockwise, Brazil (Top),
Cyprus (2), France (3), United States (Bottom), Italy (5) and Great Britain (6). Along the edges are the names of the
campaigns: Sicily, France, Balkans, Italy and Tunisia. The ashtray is maker marked on the rear: RICHARD GINORI.
5th Army Souvenir Flower Vase, above left photo.
The front of this flower vase is marked 3376 TRK.CO MOBILE (Tc). The sides have the seal of Florence and the rear has the
5th Army insignia. The bottom is marked: SACA SESTOFIORENTINO ITALY.

5th Army, 34th Division, 135th Infantry Regiment Plate, above right photo.
Captured German 10cm Nebel Werfer 35 Crate, above photo.
This German WWII shipping box originally contained two 10cm Nebel Werfer 35, Smoke Mortar, shells in shipping containers.
The inside label has it packed by the German factory Gsl January 13th 1944, with the crate being marked as produced in 1943.
The natural wood crate with German black stenciling was painted olive drab prior to mailing home to the United States. It was
mailed home by T/5 Adam Paul Siemek, Born 1910, ASN 33199228, Headquarters Company, 2nd Armored Group, APO 464 to
Mr. Henry Siemek Sr. c/o Mrs. E. Seibert, 236 South East Ave., Baltimore 24, Maryland.
Adam P. Siemek entered service on April 4th 1942, Baltimore Maryland. The 2nd Tank Group arrived in North Africa on March
18th 1943 and arrived in Italy on November 26th 1943 and was re-designated the 2nd Armored Group on March 19th 1944,
Roccarainola Italy. In 1944, T/5 Siemek was wounded by a Bazooka blast while the 2nd Armored Group was in central/southern
Italy and discharged in May 1944 as a battle casualty.
He died June 9th 1984 and is buried in Saint Stanislaus Cemetery, Baltimore Maryland.